December #fussycuttingsewalong



I now have a subscribe button on this blog! If you would like an email when there is a new post, click on it. I promise not to spam you.

I finished the last month of the 2018 #fussycuttingsoalong! I officially made all 52 hexie flowers. Well done me! Here's a roundup of the final month. The theme was Christmas/Winter, so I chose to make things quite Christmassy. Here are the four December hexie flowers displayed on my Christmas Tree.


The first week was central motifs with a solid/blender centre. Here is my flower.


This one was nice and simple. The white and red snowflake fabric is from Aldi. I am loving Aldi's fat quarter bundles. The central hexie is a sparkly scrap from my stash.

Week 2, sections with a plain/blender centre, is I think my favourite hexie flower from this whole year.


Look how perfect that circle is! What makes me really proud is I looked at the fabric and knew I could cut sections to get a circle. Here's what the fabric looked like before cutting.



The section I used is the curvy bottom of one of the Christmas trees. I did try a couple of other layouts before sewing it together. I liked these two because they reminded me of insects with wings. But the circle definitely won the day.




The next one, Christmas frames with a fussy cut centre, is not a favourite of mine at all.



I struggled to make this one work. I had the fabric earmarked for this week as soon as I saw the prompts, and I had seen lots of great stripy frames from my fellow participants. Buoyed by my success the previous week I was feeling confident.

But once it was cut out I laid out the hexies and it didn't look right. The different reds were a bit clashy. Neither putting the flowers nor the zigzags towards the centre worked. It wasn't cut right to try having the lines point outwards from the centre. Running out of ideas, I alternated the flowers and zigzags and finally liked it enough to stitch it together.

I put it on IG, and it got all the likes. It made it into 3rd place on my best 9 list for the year. I think the lighting in the pic makes the clashiness between the centre and the frame less harsh. The shortbread tin background probably helps as well.

The final week was total freestyle, so this one is not Christmassy at all. It tells the story of a holiday to Arran Island.


I wrote the full story of this one on IG, and can't work out how to copy & paste from there on my phone, so here's the link.

For fun, here are a few pics from that holiday.


Arran Island looks like this. Bikes were a bad idea.




So that's the final month! Now to make it all into a quilt. I have decided on a layout for the hexie flowers that isn't entirely random and started stitching them together.


Looking forward to the 2019 #fussycuttingsewalong. We will be stitching diamond shapes into stars.

Linking up with the Peacock Party again. Hello to everyone who has come from there.

Thanks for reading!



Comments

  1. You have been busy with your hexies. I love your photos from Arran Island. Although New Zealand is at the opposite end of the earth from Scotland, a lot of our scenery is similar - especially in the deep south of New Zealand. Thank you for linking up with my Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Wendy! I would love to visit NZ. I lived in Aus when I was little (Melbourne and Geelong) but other than changing planes in Auckland once, I have never been to New Zealand. I am also a fan of Lord of the Rings, so that makes the country appeal to me too. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford and manage it. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You