Fussy Cutting Forest begins



Hello everyone!

Yesterday, I bought some brown fabric and started basting and stitching the triangle joining pieces for my Fussy Cutting Forest quilt. There are going to be over 300 of the little 1 inch equilateral triangles. It's going to take a while.

I decided to start by adding the triangles to the blocks I did in January. It's been interesting looking at those first hexie flowers I did and seeing how far I have come, especially in terms of creativity. I thought I would take this opportunity to go back over those hexie flowers



Here's the first hexie flower I made. The theme in January was purple, in honour of the Pantone colour of the year, Ultraviolet. I thought back then this would be a good way of using up some of my hexies from the #100days100hexies2017 sewalong, so the central hexie is one of them. And I tjink it's quite cute and cheeky. The blender I used for the petals was the closest match I had to the Pantone colour.
This one in particular looks almost absurdly basic to me compared to my more recent ones.



The second week, the prompt was purple lines. This stripy fabric was from a bundle a friend had given me, and again the central hexie was one I had already made. It didn't even occur to me that I could arrange the stripes any differently, when I chose to have them all in one direction.



Next up, purple flowers. I thought I would struggle with fabric that I could fussy cut for these, until I noticed these foxgloves on a Lewis and Irene fabric featuring birdhouses. Although I didn't realise it at the time, this is actually sections fussy cutting. I really like the overall effect of lines radiating out. The central hexie is a Libs Elliot hexie from my collection. It doesn't really go, but I love it and was determined to find somewhere to use it in purple month.



This one is purple pattern matching. I struggled with this, and needed to recut hexies, after producing a 'Nearly Headless Nick' effect on one poor little mouse. But for a first attempt at pattern matching, it's ok.

There is one hexie flower from January that I don't have, and that's because I sent it to Naomi and she chose it for the group quilt. Here are me and my daughter admiring it on display at the Festival of Quilts. I will make a replacement to go into the Forest, but I haven't got around to it yet.



I have learned so much during this sewalong! Seeing all the hexie flowers from everyone has really inspired me to try different colours, cutting and layouts. It makes me happy to see in quite a tangible way, how much progress I have made over the year.

Thanks for reading!

Joining a link party today for the first time! The Peacock Party by Wendy's Quilts and More. Wendy at Wendy's Quilts and more has been a massive inspiration to me in my patchwork and cross stitch. You can check out her blog here:

http://wendysquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/2018/12/peacock-party-and-my-gingerbread.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+WendysQuiltsAndMore+(Wendy%27s+quilts+and+more)&m=1

Never done this before, so do let me know of the link doesn't work. Hopefully next time I will work out how to make it prettier.

Comments

  1. Hi Genevieve and thank you for linking up to my Peacock Party, and your very kind words about my quilting and embroidery. Yes, your link worked! Isn't it fun to look back and see the progression in our own work? Some people hate their earlier work, but I think it just shows the improvement between where I was, and where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I like looking back, this is only 11 months ago, but my skills have improved so much. These flowers may be basic, but that doesn't make them bad, I am happy to have them sit alongside the more recent ones when I sew them all together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

Fussy cutting sewalong May roundup

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023