November #fussycuttingsewalong


I have been participating in a year-long sewalong on Instagram, hosted by the lovely Naomi Clarke. Every week, we make one hexie flower, with a monthly theme and weekly prompts of different kinds of fussy cutting. November's theme was Thankfulness.

Honestly, I struggled for inspiration this month. I don't work well with very abstract themes, I prefer something more concrete. The first week's was freestyle for Armistice Day. I chose to do a sunset scene, inspired by the poem that goes 'at the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them'. I fussy cut birds in.the sky to represent freedom and spirits soaring free.



The next three are more personal things I am thankful for. For central motifs week, I chose baby clothes to represent my three kids.  For pattern matching week, I did Spidey as a tribute to the late, great Stan Lee. And finally for framed motif week, I did a flower dedicated to my Dad, a maths professor, who helped us buy our own house earlier this year.






My plan for all 52 hexie flowers is to put them into a quilt together, surrounded by greens and browns to give the impression of a forest. The layout comes from this sketch which I did as part of the #30quiltdesigns2018 challenge I mentioned in my previous post.



I have started basting the green hexies. The lighting in this photo isn't great, but I do like the way it's coming together.

I deliberately challenged myself to select a background that didn't use white or black as the neutral element. I am pleased with my choice.



Only one more month of hexie flowers to make, and then I can put it all together!

Comments

  1. That forest idea is great, Eve! Well done, I have no plan for mine, this has been such a fun sew-along from Ruth @kilnofintention (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! It is such a fun sewalong, I have really being enjoying it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You