Inspiration everywhere

Hello everyone!

Humans are pattern-seeking mammals, and one of the good things about that is that quilt inspiration is everywhere. And one of the good things about smartphones is every time you see something, you can just take a picture.  The downside is that means I have vastly more ideas than I could ever have time to make. But I thought if I put a bunch of the pics into a blog post, I would have somewhere to refer to when inspiration was lacking. And maybe some of you will find them inspiring too.


I took this pic today. It is a metal café table. Wouldn't it make a great EPP pattern? I can see two ways to piece it - Equilateral triangles divided inro thirds, or hexies pieced from 6 of the little triangles arranged in three pairs. The circle effect could be achieved with fussy cutting or, more likely, appliqué.



This is not the greatest pic, sorry. It is a wooden screen in a restaurant. It would make an awesome EPP pattern - it is octagons surrounded by irregular pentagons. I am pretty sure I have never seen that combo in an EPP pattern.


This is a sketch I did as part of a design challenge. The shapes in it are entirely taken from a plastic roll up blind I saw in a bar.


This was taken at Kirby Muxloe Castle. I just love the texture in these bricks.


This is Stonehenge, obviously. We went there during the Easter holidays . It's such a striking and easy-to-draw shape it should be easy to design a quilt with it, right? Wrong. All my sketches look rubbish. I will work it out one day.


I love the lights on this motor scooter. Aren't they fun. I should be able to take the circles and the bright primary colours and make it into something. I am not entirely sure what yet, though.

So that's a recent selection from the last 3-4 months. These sorts of patterns really are everywhere. What's the strangest thing that's inspired you?

Thanks for reading!



Comments

  1. Great inspiration patterns! Iron and wood work have often great patterns, thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do have great patterns. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, and you're right, inspiration is everywhere. Just not everyone sees is! Good luck in adapting the photos into fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Marly. I think everyone has the potential to be inspired by everything if we help them to see it.

      Delete
  3. I too love taking photos everywhere I go. Most of mine will never turn into quilts but it's fun to see the patterns and composition all around us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. It will probably take a while before these turn into quilts, but it is fun seeing things everywhere and having a head full of ideas.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You