Tula Palooza Holidays with our Homies block

Hello everyone!

My July Tula Palooza block is finished.


For this month we were using Tula Pink's Holidays with our Homies patten, which is a free pattern available here.

For me, the interest in the pattern lay in the little starts between blocks, that's what makes it more than just a Sawtooth star quilt. Also, I felt if I just did a star, it would feel too similar to the wonky star block we did in January.

So I sketched out a way to include the sashing and quarter the little corner stars.



Then on to the fabric pull. I started with the deer in the middle, mostly because it isthe only one of my large 'hero' prints I haven't used so far. It's from an out of print collection called Moonshine.


As with previous months, my fabric choices are based more around colour than the design on the fabric. Each of these 5 fabrics is from a different Tula collection.

This pattern came together very quickly, even stitching by hand. So much so that I forgot to take any pics during the process.

I did make a silly mistake, though. I cut out the woodgrain fabric sashing strips half an inch too short. And only realised after sewing the corner triangles on. When I went to recut, the only way to get long enough strips from the depleted fabric was to have two of them cut through 90 degrees compared to the other - the first version had the pattern runing the same way in all 4 strips. Fortunately, it still works with that change. My piece of Yule Log fabric is definitely reduced to scrap now, though.

So here it is, complete!



I really like the bright green in the corners. I think it lifts the block and gives it a bit of zing. Also, I had to buy more of that fabric last month so I feel the need to use it more to justify the purchase.

And, just because I like it, a close up of the deer fabric.



Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Your block ended up beautiful with that magnificent stag in the centre. Love the new corners too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You