Festival of Quilts 2019 - the Genevieve Awards

Hello everyone!

I had the fun of going to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham again this year. I love this event, there are so many beautiful quilts to see. Overall, I thought the selection and standard was pretty high this year, but compared to last year there was a distinct lack of EPP quilts.  I hope EPP isn't starting to go out of fashion! Even if it does, it's not going to stop me from doing it. One of these days I am going to actually finish something and exhibit it myself.

Here is a round up of my personal highlights from this year.  All photos by me, except for the two indicated as being taken by my mother, Theresa Higgins.

First up, the fussy cutting sewalong group quilt! Members of the sewalong sent blocks to Naomi Clarke, the host, and she put them all together into a beautiful quilt. This is the second year we have done this. This time we stitched fussy cut red hexie flowers and embroidered a word to say what the sewalong meant to us personally. Here's me showing off my block.

Photo by Theresa Higgins




I chose the word 'challenge' because I really enjoy the challenge looking at all the different prompts and finding a way to interpret them using my fabrics. It makes me think of things that would never have occurred to me otherwise. I fussy cut some female DC Superheroes because they represent all the wonderful women participating in the sewalong. They way they inspire me every week makes them superheroes.

That little block is my only personal exhibit this year, so the rest of this post will be showing the work of others. I will do my best to provide links to the makers' websites or IG profiles where I can find them.

I always disagree with the Judges at these competitions - that's part of the fun! So here are my own awards. No actual prizes are being given by me, you just get the knowledge that I like your quilt. I am totally making up the categories as I go along.

Category 1 - Rainbow Quilts




Natures Creation by Nicola Johns.


Cum et iris by Sandra Ruano Navarro




Fractured Circles by Robyn Fahy



Puzzled Geese by Jo Westford



The Rainbow Sign by Linda Campbell



Rainbow Welcome by Care-ing Quilts

And the winner is ... Fractured Circled by Robyn Fahy! This is one case where me and the real judges agree, it won the Contemporary Quilts category. 

Category 2 - Quilts featuring people



Capturing a Special Moment by Sheena J Norquay



Harvest Home by Janneke de Vries-Bodzinga



Gold Lady by Yan Liu



Shadow Dancer by Claudia Scheja




Mother's red Amaryllis by Naoko Hirano


People dancing by Solvig Starborg



Beware of the Witch! by Tiziana Tateo




So many people by Linzi Upton

And the winner is ... Mother's Red Amaryllis by Naoko Hirano! This quilt was on sale - for £200. Which is insanely low for the amount of work that goes into something like that. I sincerely hope it was a misprint and there was a zero missing from the end.

Category 3 - Buildings



Reflection by Hanneke Reinaldi


Architecture/Travel and Destination by Hanneke Reinaldi



Nasir O'l Molk by Farideh Shahmohammdi



Taj Mahal at Sunset by Pippa Wardman

Photo credit: Theresa Higgins




Mind the Gap by Cecilia Slinn




Progress? by Jo Coombes

And the winner is ... Reflection by Hanneke Reinaldi! I was just so impressed by this little quilt. Such a clear vision of shapes.

Category 4 - Genevieve's award for use of colour


Go with the flow by Maria Coxon


Tranquility by Lynda Jackson


Colourful Log Cabin by Sorcha Torrens


Crown of glory, crown of thorn by Alexandra Kingswell



'Tree in the moonlight' by Béatrice Bueche




 My Fine Feathered Friend by Brenda Wroe

And the winner is ... 'Tree in the moonlight' by Béatrice Bueche! The colours in the background of this are stunning, I could stare at it for hours.

Special Award for Impressive Construction



Magical Toys by Flora Joy.  These three photos are all of the same quilt, taken from different angles. I am quite impressed with myself for managing the photography on this one.  Basically it is a single quilt with three central images, and depending which angle you look from, you get to see a different one clearly.



I took so many pictures, and there were many I didn't take pictures of. I hope you enjoyed these highlights and if you get the chance to go in the future - even non-quilters out there - please do! It's lots of fun.  The other part of the Festival is the shopping side, and I was very restrained this year with my purchases.  Here's my mini haul.



So that was fun! Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You