Fussy cutting sewalong October roundup

Hello everyone!

I have finished enough of these to sneak in one more monthly roundup before the end of the year. These are my fussy cutting sewalong blocks from October and the theme is Out Of This World. We were encouraged to use space fabrics, Halloween fabrics or explore fictional worlds. I did 5 starflowers for the four weeks.




The first week was identifiable motifs in the inner diamonds. I did two blocks for this week. 



The first one uses some kawaii Harry Potter fabric that I got from Aldi for the motif. There weren't enough different characters in the yellow material, so I supplemented with Buckbeak and Norbert on a purple fabric.  The outer diamonds are some of my favourite Libs Elliot fabric, because I consider her designs to be out of this world!

The second one is a 6-point tribute of my 5-point star creations from my ongoimg Halloween La Passacaglia quilt (See here and here for more about that quilt) . Because I love the way the ghosts spin out from the centre whrn you put them in a star shape. Here is the La Pass ghost star.



For the second week the prompt was mystery sections in the inner diamonds.



I really like the shapes created in the middle of this one. Here is the fabric and the section I used to create the block - it's the bottom half of a Frankenstein's Monster.



I like the blue outer diamonds, I think the concentric shapes give a bit of a mystical vortex effect.

The third week was identifiable motifs in the outer diamonds. I went for space and fictional worlds for this one.


Toy Story aliens! I like the hexagon effect in the centre for this one.

And finally, we did mystery sections in the outer diamonds.



I used mermaid tails. Here's the original fabric and section.




I also now have the Song 'Part of Your World' from the Little Mermaid stuck in my head. So I am going to inflict it on all of you, too. Here's the link.

So we have reached the end of 2019! Here are all of my blocks to date. It's difficult to get a good photo of them all!



You will see more of this as I finish off the last three months (August, November and December) and stitch it all together but for now it's time to think about 2020, and The Year Of The House!

We will be making blocks that look like this (screenshot of Naomi's IG post) .



You can read the full details of how to join in on Naomi Clarke's website here.

I have enjoyed sewing whatever takes my fancy in 2019, but 2020 is going to be different. I badly need some quilty finishes, to clear some space, both physically and in my head. To achieve this, I need to cut down on my sewalong commitments. So I will be making only one block a month for 2020 fussy cutting sewalong, but I will make it quite big (either 3-inch or 4-inch pieces) so I will end the year with 12 blocks that will make a decent sized quilt. And I will still be an active part of the lovely Instagram community that Naomi has built up. And those of you who have been following these monthly posts will still get to do so! But I should have the time to start finishing off some of my other projects a bit more systematically.

So I am going to try and make 2020 The Year I Actually Finish Some Stuff. Wish me luck!

Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You