Snowflake quilt

Hello everyone,

Having made a start on sorting my scraps the other day, I have been itching to get on with my snowflake quilt, to use all the 2.5 inch squares I have been cutting.

I knew I already had quite a lot of 9 patch blocks made up, so I pulled my white / low volume prints from my stash to make some of the snowflake blocks.





I originally started this quilt to practise my sewing machine skills. They have definitely improved a lot and I am much quicker than I used to be, especially since I got my head around chain piecing. Having a newer, faster machine also makes a real difference. I whipped up 10 blocks in a couple of hours.



I decided to lay them out with my other blocks to see how many I had, and work out what to make next.



As you can see, I already have enough to finish it up with 6x4 blocks. And I only need the snowflake blocks and 1 more 9 nine patch to make it twice that size. These are only 6 inch blocks, so neither option would be particularly big and I still have a ton more scraps I can use, so I could go bigger if I wanted too. I am still undecided.

As I went along I stitched an extra line on each seam so when I cut the excess on the snowflake blocks, I was left with a bunch of HSTs (half square triangles) already sewn together. I can use these for an accompanying cushion cover or a doll's quilt or something. They are about 1 inch square.



So that's where I am with that. I have been in a bit of a quilting lull during this pandemic, so it feels good to be starting to get my quilting mojo back. And to be making progress on a long term WIP (work in progress).

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

Fussy cutting sewalong May roundup

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023