Oops!

Hello everyone!

This is a follow on to my post on making mistakes here. In that post, I wrote about stitching a block upside down my Fussy Cutting Forest quilt (more about this quilt here, here and here) and having to unpick twice. Guess what, I made the same mistake with a different block! But I came up with a much quicker fix, so I thought I should write about it, if only to help me remember for next time.

I was joining a unit on to the main quilt. Before joining, the units look like a hexie flower with brown triangles on each point and a large green hexie either side.

I work holding the right sides of the pieces together, meaning I am looking at the backs most of the time. So after stitching the bicycle unit on, I flipped it over for a quick check before grabbing the next unit.



And... it's upside down. You can tell by comparing the boat hexie to the compass and house hexies in the surrounding units.

I quickly decided I couldn't just leave it wrong (it is always worth asking myself that) and then briefly panicked about the idea of undoing all the stitching I had just done. Like I did last time. Which would be annoying as I didn't have enough time to undo and redo that amount.

But then I realised that only the central boat hexie being upside down mattered. I didn't have to undo it all, I just had to undo and flip that one hexie.

So I did. I unpicked that one hexie. I had previously removed the paper from it, so I rebasted it. And stitched it back on the right way.



It was a bit fiddly, especially towards the end. Flat back stitch would probably have been easier than whip stitch for this repair, but the whole quilt is whip stitched and I didn't want to change for just one hexie in case it looked weird.

And here it is, the right way around!



So my tip for the day is take a moment to work out the minimum you need to do to make a mistake liveable, before you start unpicking. It will save you lots of time and hassle.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You