Tula Palooza Cobblestone/Weird Waters

Hello everyone!

My Tula Palooza block for June is finished.



This month we are using the Cobblestone pattern, a free pattern from The Fat Quarter Shop available here. This pattern is pieced in strips, not blocks, so it wasn't instantly clear to me how to adapt it to a single block. After doing some maths, I decided to do a miniaturised version of the crib quilt pattern.

This still meant I had space for some fussy cutting, so that's where I started for my fabric pull.



I chose the fabrics mostly for their colours, but I like that they have a common theme of water. I am also really happy to have a red and green combo that doesn't scream Christmas.

To make the most of the fussy cuts, I decided to rotate the design through 90 degrees. This pattern is easy to stitch, but does require some planning to get everything in the right place. So I did a quick sketch.



And then on to cutting and sewing. I made a start, and realised I had cut a couple of the green Gitter Litter pieces too small. No problem, I had plenty more of the fabric. I put it to one side, ready to cut, but didn't get round to it that evening.

And the next time I came round to it, the fabric had vanished! I looked everywhere I could think of. I sorted through all my stash. I looked under my table. In all my project bags. I made my son clear out behind the sofa. It has disappeared off the face of the earth.

I did all the stitching I could on the block, hoping the fabric would turn up.



But it didn't. So I ended up buying another fat quarter of the fabric.

And here's the finished block!



I am calling my version of this pattern Weird Waters. To me the block tells a story of Elizabethan ships on a voyage of discovery encountering strange sea creatures. I am really happy with this one.

That's the half way mark for this sewalong! Here are all six of my blocks so far.


(Previous posts: January February March April May)

I can definitely see a lot of improvement, particularly in my fabric choices. I do wish for the January block I had used a Tula Pink fabric for the background instead of mixed whites from my stash.

I still don't have a clear idea of how to combine these into a coherent quilt top, but that will largely depend on what the six blocks to come look like.

So, on to July! Thanks for reading.

Comments

  1. Looks like you are having TONS of fun with your Tula fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block looks great -- you rocked the fussy cutting with those little FROGS!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I love those little frogs!

      Delete
  3. I love weird waters. Maybe you'll feel like remaking that first block at the end now you know the feel for the rest of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You

Fussy cutting sewalong May roundup