Tulapalooza Dos Cuadrados/Heights and Depths Block

Hello everyone!

Well it's two weeks late, but I finally got my September Tula Palooza block finished.


For this month we were using the Dos
Cuadrados pattern by Jordan Fabrics. I couldn't work out how to translate the strip piecing from the pattern to a single block, so I cut it out as lots of little pieces. Here is my fabric pull.



The meteor fabric was my part of my winnings from a Tulapalooza giveaway (mentioned here). I don't think this sampler quilt would have felt right if I hadn't found a place to feature it.

My original pull had just the black, white and pinm, but after staring at it for a few days (as mentioned on Insta here) I decided that, oddly for Tula Pink fabric, the feature fabrics looked too washed out. So I added in the green to lessen the tone contrast between the pink and the other two.

Unfortunately, I clearly wasn't thinking straight when I cut it out because I didn't cut enough strips of the pink. Which I discovered part way through sewing when there weren't enough pieces. And when I went back to it, I found my single fat quarter was so depleted that I couldn't get enough out of it. Argh! A dive through my scrap pile revealed just enough to piece together the last couple of strips. That means the strip on the left-hand side is made up of half a dozen smaller pieces. As it's quite a busy print, I think it still works. I literally only have the selvedge left of that print now.



I love the little octopuses. I didn't deliberately fussy cut that fabric, but where I did get bits of their heads I positioned them so it looks like they are peeping out of windows.




So that's the finished block! I am calling my version of this block Heights and Depths, because of the contrast between the meteor space motifs and the underwater Zuma and Saltwater fabrics.



I have done 9 out of the 12 blocks now! Here they are all together. I think they look quite good as a set.


October's block is a very simple hearts pattern, so I am hoping I will be able to catch things up quickly.

——---—-------------

As you might have guessed from my previous post, part the reason this is all running late is because I have launched my little shop!



Eve Of Destruxion Handmade Goods is now open for business on Etsy, nuMonday and Facebook.

I am selling lots of lovely Christmas Star ornaments!

Customisable stars: Etsy nuMonday

Red deer: Etsy nuMonday

Crazy patchwork: Etsy nuMonday


I am selling cushions from upcycled shirts!


I am making memory cushions!


Message me on Facebook 


More products will be added soon.

If you have read this far, thanks very much. Please click on the links to like, follow, comment and/or share. (And, ideally, buy stuff).

Thanks for reading.



Comments

  1. I am coveting that meteor fabric - super cool... and creative thinking on piecing up the extra strips you needed - you are right, it's such a busy fabric I never even noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I was really lucky winning that meteor fabric, I don't think you can buy it easily any more.

      Delete
  2. Your Tula-palooza blocks are looking great! Love those octopuses (or is it octopi??) peeping through the windows, and no one would know you'd pieced that busy print if you hadn't 'fessed up to it! Congrats on your shop launch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice save! The blocks look really lovely together. Congratulations on opening your new shop! That's so wonderful!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You