Fussy cutting sewalong September roundup

Hello everybody!

I am trying to catch up on this sewalong, and I am running a bit out of order.

So here's September! The theme was food and drink. I did 4 star flowers on this theme. Three out of the four were actually done in September.

And this month you have the added bonus of a soundtrack, because each block made me think of a song. Please enjoy!


Week 1 was identifiable motifs in the inner diamonds.


Strawberries! Strawberries are probably my favourite fruit. I was very much going for a 'strawberry fields' effect with the choice of green fabric in the outer diamonds. I think it works well.

Track of the block: Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles.

Week 2 was mystery sections in the inner diamonds. I knew what fabric I would use for the sections as soon as the theme was announced.


The fabric used is this one, which was a gift from one of my sisters many years ago.


It is such a fun fabric it turns up in lots of things I make, even though I don't actually like coffee.
The outer diamond fabric is a little hard to photograph, but it's a Libs Elliot print of a purple line motif on a red background. The inner diamonds were so busy that I wanted something fairly simple for outside.

Track of the block: You're So Vain by Carly Simon. 'I had some dreams there were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee...'

Week 3 was identifiable motifs in the outer diamonds. This is 'Ode to Peas'


Made purely because I had two different fabrics featuring peas, so I could. This is one of my favourite blocks I have made for this sewalong, simply because it makes me laugh.

Track of the block: Give Peace a Chance by the Plastic Ono Band. For the pun.

And the final week of the month was mystery sections in the outer diamonds. I didn't manage to actually get this one completed in September; it was finished last week.


This used what little scraps I had left of this ice cream fabric



It took me ages to find something to pair it with. And this green batik fabric was originally intended to be used as my contribution to the group quilt. But the design of that block involved splitting the central star into two halves, and that meant the circle effect didn't shine through like I had hoped. But it definitely works here. Don't worry, Naomi, I have a new plan for my group quilt block, you will still be getting one from me.

Incidentally, the hexie flower I made with the ice cream fabric last year got a ridiculous number of likes by my standards, so I thought you might all enjoy seeing it again.


Track of the block: Funny Fun Ice Cream by Blippi. Because if my toddlers are going to subject me to it 3 gazillion times a day, you all have to suffer with me.

So that's September! I do have some blocks from August and October made but not a complete set of either, so whichever I get round to finishing first will be the next one of these posts. November's theme is botanical, so lots of flowers and trees to look forward to.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You