La Passcaglia update


 Hello everyone,

With it being October now, and with Roger Penrose being in the news I have been feeling the need to work on my Halloween La Passacaglia Quilt again. It's been months since I picked it up, so my first thought was 'what on earth was I planning to do next?'

While I had dutifully recorded everything I had done, I hadn't made any note of what I planned to do next.  My overall plan is still a little sketchy on details. I had some cat pentagons cut out and basted already, so I made an executive decision about which rosette they belonged to and added them.



I then looked at this fabric, which I hadn't used anywhere yet.


I thought that I was probably going to use it for lots of pentagons around my large purple rosette so I decided to do that.  I also realised that I could get two different thin diamonds fussy cuts out of the same fabric, so I cut those out and added them to two white rosette centres.

Bats around cats and pumpkins around bats

For the large rosette, I realised I needed two ghost diamonds and grey triangles to fill in a gap so I did those.


For the pentagons around the large rosette, I have sewn a bunch of them in to pairs.  I am going to add them on, but I think it will make more sense to add in some purple triangles from stars as I go around the single pentagons, so the next step is to cut and baste those. And then add the rest of the stars once I have added the ghosts.

I am glue basting this because I thought it would be faster. And while it is faster, I also get my hands covered in glue trying to manage such small pieces, and I find the whole thing a lot stiffer when I am sewing, so I don't think I am going to stick with glue basting for larger projects in the future. I will finish this one off that way though, to keep things consistent.

So that's where this is right now. I don't know how much more I'll get done before I decide to concentrate on my other projects that are closer to being finished, but this does make a fun thing to do for the spooky season. This feels more me than a lot of my other projects. I am not quite sure why.  Horror is normally the area of sci-fi/fantasy that appeals to me least when it comes to TV, books and film. The crazy mathematics of the geometry, the high contrast colour scheme, the fussy cutting and the insane level of detail are definitely very me though.

Thanks for reading!

Linking to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop and the Peacock Party

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You