August 2022 #focuscuttingsewalong round-up

Hello everybody!

Despite my fears last month, I have managed to make at least one block for the sewalong for each week in August! Not much more than that, but still, I kept up. The theme was Movement, with a freestyle Just Because week at the end. I made 8 blocks. I am writing this at my parents house, so I don't have access to all the blocks from put them a single picture.




Week 30 was identifiable motifs. I made two blocks.

First, some cute toy trains.


This was the first fabric I thought of when the theme was announced. I have pretty much reduced the small amount I had to scrap now.

Next, these arrows.

I have been looking for an excuse to use this shiny, rose-gold arrow fabric for a while, so I was happy to have a theme that it fit into.

Week 31 was obscure motifs. I made one block.

I really like the effect created here, I think it looks like a spinning Catherine Wheel. The original motif was the front of sporty cars as you can see here in the original fabric.


There are alternating sections of the yellow and the red car in the block.

Week 32 was pattern matching. I made one block.

I have a ton of Harry Potter fabric, I should put it all into a quick big quilt at one point, as it would be very much appreciated by my oldest child. But I have so many other Works In Progress that I don't want to start anything big and new at the moment. So I might as well use it for some blocks in this. There is definitely plenty of movement in the game of Quidditch.

Week 33 was freestyle. Again, I made just the one block.

I am connecting this to the theme by interpreting the motifs as blurs of moving light. But really, this was just an excuse to play with some new fabric that I had just bought at the Festival of Quilts. It's a Libs Elliott print.

Week 34 was a special freestyle week with the theme 'Just Because'. This is for using fabrics you bought/acquired without a particular project in mind. I made 3 blocks in total.

Firstly, a circle of rainbows 


This uses an Alison Glass print. I bought it from an online shop that was closing down, just because I like rainbows and Alison Glass and I wanted to support the shop owner.

Next up, this purple block.


Like the Libs Elliott block from the previous week, this uses a fabric I bought at the Festival of Quilts. It's a Tula Pink fabric, and while it might be usable in my Tulapalooza quilt (when I next get around to doing anything on it), I don't have a specific use in mind. But Tula Pink prints are always great for focus cutting so I broke it out for this theme.

And finally, this sparkly block.


This uses a fabric I bought about 4 years ago, thinking I would definitely find a use for it soon. But this is the first time I have cut into it. Here's a pic of the fuller fabric.


As you can see, it has lots of nice phrases about being creative. However, the only word that fits nicely into the shape and size of kite I am using, is 'Stop'. 

So that was August! September's theme is going to be Books. We did this theme last year, and it was lots of fun, so I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

Fussy cutting sewalong May roundup

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You