June 2023 #focuscuttingsewalong

Hello everybody!

Focussing on the Hats Off To You quilt for the Festival of Quilts meant I wasn't keeping up with the Focus Cutting Sewalong. I am starting to catch it back now, and I have finished all my June blocks, so here they are! The theme for June was Lines, which is always one of my favourite themes. I did 7 blocks in total.

Week 22 was Vertical Lines. For this shape, that meant the lines along the length of the shape. I did two blocks.


First up, this classic interpretation of the prompt.

These pink and red stripes form a clear X shape with the paler stripe down the middle.

And secondly, these blue lines.


I went extra line-y on this one, choosing this fabric with extra chevron lines, in addition to the overall stripe effect.

Week 23 was horizontal lines. These run across the width of the shape, making a square effect towards the centre of the block. Again, I made two blocks.


First up, this blue block.


This was the first fabric I pulled to use for this theme. You can see my block with this fabric from last year here (actually done on a freestyle week).

Next up, this yellow and blue stripe.



This is an Aldi fabric, and the lines are made up of rows of triangles. I think it gives the block more of a dynamic feel.

And Week 24 was diagonal lines. This meant making the lines run parallell to one of the edges next to the 90 degree angle. It gives a sort of windmill effect at the centre. I made two blocks again.


First up, this classic pale yellow stripe.


Again, this is an Aldi fabric. And I know in both the photos it looks like I haven't sewn down one of the seams, but I have double checked the block and I can assure you that I have. I just need to actually make use of an iron.

And lastly, this brighter yellow block.

This block didn't work as well as I would have liked. Because the line is wavy, and it doesn't have a high colour contrast, the effect isn't as clear as I was hoping for. It's a fabric I have owned for absolutely ages, I bought it when I was living in Spain in 2003-4. You can see it in an orphan block from that time period here.

The final week of the month, week 25, was a freestyle week with no particular theme. I made one block.


This uses an Aldi fabric that I only just bought the other day. I like to use the very free freestyle weeks for fabrics that don't really fit the definition of 'motif' but still make a definite pattern when focus cut. I am also being intentional with my colour choices as those who follow along on Instagram will know I have decided on a rainbow layout for these blocks. You can probably spot in the photo of the 7 blocks at the top of this blog that the pink one is joined on to another block. I'll start showing more of the layout on here as I catch up more of the months.  I still have one block missing from each of March, July and August, although I am on track to actually finish September on time, so hopefully you will see some more soon.

Thanks for reading!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

Fussy cutting sewalong May roundup

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You