Fussy Cutting Forest: Flimsy finish

 Hello Everybody!

I have actually finished a quilt top! It's my Fussy Cutting Forest quilt, made from the blocks created during the 2018 #fussycuttingsewalong hosted by the lovely Naomi Clarke on Instagram.  You can read more about this and see it all coming together in my previous blog posts (November roundup, Fussy cutting forest begins, December roundup, Works in progress, Making mistakes, More works in progress, Oops OK, there were more of those than I was expecting).

Here it is! I did actually manage to find a space on my kitchen floor big enough to put it down.



I am quite happy for my solution for finishing off the corners - I am going to cut the edges of this to turn it into a neat rectangle when it's been quilted, so I needed enough extra at the sides and corners to be able to do this.




The making of this top really has been a learning process, I definitely learned a lot about fussy cutting by doing the different challenges every week.  There is a marked difference in my skill levels between these ones from January:




And these ones from December:





There were blocks that came out better than I expected:



And ones that didn't quite match the vision in my head, despite multiple attempts. This one is supposed to be a heart.



So next step is quilting! I am planning to hand quilt so it will take a while, but should be a good project to be working on over the winter. The plan in my head is to a leaf motif on all the large green hexies, some lines on the little triangles to make them feel more like branches, and then quilt each of the hexie flowers individually in its own style, some outlining the hexie shapes, some following the lines of the patterns, and some adding detail to the picture or story in a hexie flower. It's going to be fun!

Thanks for reading!


Comments

  1. Hi! What a great quilt top! That is a lot of work but the practice has paid off - your later blocks are great. I'm very impressed by the fussy cutting - mostly I avoid anything complex because I am accuracy challenged and it really shows on this type of project. Enjoy your winter quilting! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations on such a great finished quilt top! Your skills certainly did improve! Thank you for sharing the progress photos as they encouraged me to keep trying with my own fussy cutting! This winter you will be going down memory lane as you hand quilt this special project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! And do keep going with your own fussy cutting, it does take practice but the results are worth it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! Sunflower Field Mini Quilt

The 3rd Genevieve Awards: The Festival of Quilts 2023

Finished Quilt: Hats Off To You